Various openings @ Texas newspapers
Various newspapers in Texas have reporter, photojournalist and other newsroom openings at the moment, according to the Texas Press Association's Job Bank. Some might be good entry-level opportunities:
- The Weatherford Democrat, a small daily newspaper in the Dallas area, seeks a reporter for its crime and courts beat. E-mail resumes and writing samples to email@example.com.
- The Athens Daily Review, a daily newspaper in East Texas, has two openings: a sports reporter and a general assignment reporter. Some photography is required, as well as occasional use of a video camera. Pagination (QuarkXpress) is a must. E-mail resume and clips to Editor Jayson Larson at firstname.lastname@example.org. You can also submit information to 201 South Prairieville, Athens, Texas, 75751.
- Today Newspapers, a chain of 5 weekly community newspapers covering southern Dallas county, is looking for editors, part-time photographers and a part-time managing editor. E-mail resume along with any clippings/editorial and salary requirements to: email@example.com. No phone calls.
- Leader News, a small weekly newspaper near San Antonio, is looking for a managing editor to run the newsroom, paginate and direct one full-time reporter and stringers and also cover a beat. "The owners are award-winning journalists and page designers and are ready and willing to help train a good reporter to become a good editor or help a good editor get better," the ad states. Salary is up to $30,000 but there's no health insurance. E-mail your resume to firstname.lastname@example.org or fax to (830) 709-0067.
- The Breckenridge American, a twice-weekly newspaper two hours west of Dallas,is seeking a full-time sports editor. "The successful applicant will be highly motivated and a skillful writer who can capture the game story beyond the final score," the ad states. "Experience preferred." Competitive salary and a quality benefits package. Submit resume and clips to Rob Durham, Assistant Editor, Breckenridge American, P.O. Box 871, Breckenridge, TX 76424, phone (254) 559-5412, fax (254) 559-3491, or via e-mail to email@example.com.
Labels: Athens_Daily_Review, Breckenridge_American, editor, entry-level-jobs, journalismjobs, photojournalism, photojournalist, reporter, sports_journalism, Texas, Texas_Press_Association, Today_Newspapers