The Canadian Journalism Project (a.k.a. J-Source.ca), the number one Canadian journalism news website in Canada, seeks a journalist to join its team as Associate Editor
. Position pays $35,000-$40,000 and is based in Toronto.
The Associate Editor is directly responsible for managing all content on J-Source, acting as both a reporter and editor as necessary. You will be linking to, writing and posting news, features and commentary about what is happening in Canadian journalism: resources to help reporters, writers and editors; professional practices, ethics and media law; how journalism is taught and studied; and, academic research on the profession and the industry. While the site is targeted primarily to journalists, our audience also includes researchers, professors, students and the general public. J-Source.ca and its French counterpart ProjetJ.ca are projects of the Canadian Journalism Foundation (CJF) in collaboration with journalism schools and organizations across Canada.
Applicants should have a minimum of 2 years experience working as a journalist in a news gathering environment (multimedia experience an asset); visit J-Source regularly and can demonstrate a strong knowledge of and interest in Canadian journalism issues;have story ideas to suggest and potential sources of content; possess excellent research, reporting, writing, proofreading and editing skills in English and can ensure timely delivery of accurate content both as a reporter and editor; know how to produce original stories whether that’s working as a reporter or collaborating with volunteer editors and writers; know your way around the Web having tweeted, friended, blogged, managed content and otherwise communicated with various online networks;
* Seek out relevant news, opinion, analysis, resources and write daily blog posts about journalism;
* Report and write original features, live blogging of events;
* Copyedit all content ensuring consistency, accuracy, and fairness;
* Seek opportunities for original content, assign it (where required) on section editors' behalf, and work with creators and editors to shape and post the content
* Manage the weekly e-newsletter;
* Update J-Source Twitter and Facebook pages and moderate comments from readers throughout the day;
* Ensure J-Source.ca demonstrates journalistic excellence through all the content and its relationship with the audience;
Forward your curriculum vitae and cover letter by March 4, 2011. We thank all applicants but only those short-listed will be contacted. No phone calls or faxes.
Submit your resume and cover letter attention:
The Canadian Journalism Foundation
59 Adelaide St. E, 5th floor
Toronto, ON M5C 1K6
Labels: Canada_journalism_jobs, Canadian_Journalism_Project, foreign_journalists, J-source, journalismjobs, online_media_jobs, overseas_journalism_jobs, Toronto